Monday, October 23, 2006

"Sink Whole"


This is another older piece to chew on while I come up with something new. I think it was 1995 and I had called in sick two days in a row just to paint this. My small apartment in Decatur Ga. had an creepy institutional bathroom and I set the easel up in there and didn't come out much. I needed to paint it for for my sanity.

My process at that time was based on free association. In this process objects were often added, changed and painted back out. For example there were pipes and faucets orginally. Stuble grows from the ghostly sink. The images from art history reflected myself and my sons. I like the watermelon best. I added it last and painted it from life in about an hour.

Yesterday the Chattanooga Markets Chili cookoff went well and raised over nine grand for Muscular Dystrophy. We had such a great time we spent more than we made! Chaulk it up to supporting two good causes, MDA and the ARTs.

No comments: